Sunday, March 29, 2009

I am cultured

Friday night I made my way to the Guggenheim with my friend. Finally. I can now check that one off my list. Friend and I took advantage of the free entry due to the The Third Mind: American Artists Contemplate Asia, 1860 - 1989. I am glad I finally got to go to the museum and check out some of the exhibits, but I am even happier that I didn't have to pay the normal $20 entry. I prefer the museums that have suggested prices which I usually interpret to be around $5. What can I say, I am frugal. 

I have to say I enjoyed the building more than a lot of the exhibits on display. For those of you who have not visited, it is this huge winding ramp that leads you through the museum. This is a great feature because all the other museums I have been to are a little overwhelming and you don't always catch all the exhibits because there is no defined flow to them.
 
Fellow Guggenheim visitors making their way through the museum.

I really enjoyed the Kandinsky exhibit. I always liked his work when I studied it in college and it was nice to be able to see some of it in person. I love his use of bright colors to communicate emotions. Another highlight of the museum was seeing some of Picaso's work. I even managed to snap a picture of that one without getting yelled at. 

 
Friend admiring Woman and Birdcage. One of the Picasso's.

No comments: