Thursday, February 26, 2009

Engulfed in Flames

As I have mentioned before I joined a book club. I had my first meeting last night and we discussed David Sedaris's When You Are Engulfed in Flames. Well, we sort of discussed. I was expecting a little more structured discussion, but we very casually touched on the book and spent the rest of the evening talking about what book we should read next, yoga and podcasts. I had a really great time though, and it was held at the awesome bar in Dumbo called ReBar. I will defiantely be going back. They have a super extensive list of drafts and wine by the glass. I am pretty sure the organizer of the group drank 2 glasses of wine and was tanked and very entertaining.

Anyway, back to the book. I really really enjoyed it. It was by far my favorite Sedaris book. I have found his others entertaining, but not ridiculously funny. This one was a lot darker and I found myself laughing out loud a few times on the subway. Even my fellow riders' stares couldn't keep me from reading on. I was told that this is not a book to listen to the audio version because his voice can get whiney and annoying.

No comments: