Wednesday, October 1, 2008

New Job!

Day 1: Get in at 9:10, 5 minutes before I was told to arrive. The office is EMPTY. I mean, 5 or 6 out of the 70 people are in that early. Apparently this crew is full of late risers. OK – I can get used to that. Fill out my paperwork then have to call my boss – in Paris. It’s weird working across the pond with time differences and language barriers to consider. Get off to a good start. Get drenched in gaming information and have a tour of the office. It’s about time I get an office with a coffee machine, snacks and a proper kitchen/break room. The coffee pot still impresses me (even 3 days in). It is one of those single serving coffee pots where you put in the pod of your choice (many coffees, teas and even hot chocolate) and out comes a steamy cup! You don’t even have to throw anything away after it disposes of the waste itself. Then there is the break/gaming room. You basically have every game and gaming console available to play with. Surprisingly that room doesn’t really get used too much. There is a rock band set up in there though so I might have to give that a whirl. Get taken out to lunch my first day (something that never happened at my previous employer) and we eat in Madison Square Park. Asked if I have any embarrassing stories I want to share with everyone. I politely decline and say, “Not Yet.” Overall, great first day.

Day 2: Another great day. Take advantage of the fancy coffee machine and snacks – had a cup of hazelnut coffee and a blueberry granola bar. It’s a little difficult getting used to the later hours here. People work til at least 7 every day. I need a cool desk lamp for when it starts getting dark, any suggestions out there?

Day 3: Getting more and more familiar with the office and how things work. The world of gaming and mobile is somewhat foreign to me but it’s starting to make more and more sense. ONLY drawback I have seen so far is that the elevator seems even more slow than my previous residence. I didn’t think that was possible.

No comments: